Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yield: 8 burgers
This Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger is ideal for summer BBQs! The ultimate bacon cheeseburger, topped with caramelized onions, homemade maple barbecue sauce, and candied bacon.
- 1 pound thick cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
Maple BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce ( I used Chipotle Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef ( I like to use 80/20 in burgers)
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 buns, toasted if desired
- Candied Bacon: Prepare the candied bacon first.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet (with sides) with foil. Place a baking rack on top of the foil (I in fact used a cooling rack).
- Whisk together light brown sugar and pepper in a small bowl
- Line bacon on the rack. Spread the sugar mixture evenly over the bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the pan once throughout the baking time.
- When done, remove the pan from the oven and permit the bacon to cool on the rack.
- Caramelized Onions: Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, salt, and sugar and cook for 20-25 minutes until the onions are golden brown and soft.
- Maple BBQ Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and permit the sauce to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring repeatedly. Allow to cool.
- Burgers: Mix meat and salt and pepper in a bowl. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties.
- Grill burgers for 4-5 minutes on all sides.
- Immediately top with a slice of cheese and permit to melt. Remove the burgers from the grill and assemble, topping with BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, and candied bacon.
Great to prep ahead!
- Serving Size: 1 Burger
- Calories: 530
- Sugar: 32.6 g
- Sodium: 1528.6 mg
- Fat: 21.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Protein: 33.4 g
- Cholesterol: 95.5 mg