Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 16 English Muffins
Making English Muffins at home is so rewarding…and delicious! This easy English Muffins recipe will have you enjoying homemade muffins in no time.
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 (0.25- ounce) packet Instant Yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- Corn Meal for sprinkling on pan
- In a microwave safe bowl heat the buttermilk and butter together in 30- second increments until buttermilk is warm, reaching a temperature of 120°F – 130°F on an instant read thermometer. Buttermilk might separate and look curdled. This is ok.
- Add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and egg into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour in the buttermilk mixture and blend on low for 1 minute until combined. Remove the paddle attachment, replacing it with the dough hook attachment. Turn mixer up to medium-high and blend for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Alternately, you can knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for 5-6 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball, and cover the bowl with a towel. Place the bowl in a warm, draft free place in your kitchen and permit the dough to double in size. This will take 1-2 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen. If your oven has a proof setting, this can be used as well.
- Prep a large baking pan by sprinkling it liberally with corn meal. Set aside.
- Once the dough is doubled, remove it from the bowl and divide it into 16 pieces. Roll each bit into a ball and flatten the ball until it’s 3- inches in diameter. Place each into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with more corn meal. Cover the pan and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Spray a griddle or large skillet lightly with nonstick spray, or coat lightly with oil. Heat the pan on low and place muffins onto pan, working in batches, carefully transferring the muffins onto the griddle. You don’t want to handle them too much, causing them to deflate.
- Cook the muffins on all sides for 7-10 minutes, until the crust on all sides is golden brown and the center of the muffin reaches 180°F on an instant-read thermometer. If the muffins are browning too quickly, place them in a 325°F oven on a parchment lined pan for 10 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly. Depending on the pan you use, this can occur and isn’t a problem at all!
- Allow the muffins to cool fully on a wire rack before using a fork to split them.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze in a zip-top bag for up to 30 days. Allow English Muffins to thaw at room temperature.
Here’s the link to my Buttermilk Substitute in case you’re all out!
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 179.4 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 22.2 mg