This Meatball Sub on a Stick recipe is an excellent fun spin on the classic sandwich, perfect for a fast meal or unique appetizer. Plus, this recipe uses turkey meatballs, so it’s low fat in addition to delicious!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp dried Parsley or 1/4 cup fresh chopped
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust (or use the Original Breadstick or Crescent Roll dough)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 (10″-12″) wooden skewers
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Oregano, Basil, Parsley, red pepper flakes and garlic. Form into 1 inch meatballs.
- Open the can of dough, roll out the dough and then cut it into strips. Thread the dough onto a skewer followed by a meatball. Repeat the process with 2 more meatballs alternating dough-meatball, ending with dough. Make sure to spread dough and meatballs away from one another by about 1/4″, so the meatballs bake through and the dough has room to expand.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove from oven and ssprinkle each skewer with 1-2 Tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese. Place back in oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve instantly with warm marinara sauce for sipping.
Store airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 592.7 mg
- Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.4 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 30.4 mg