Ridiculous Chocolate Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: serves 12
This has to be the most Ridiculous Chocolate Cake I’ve ever made. Made from chocolate cake mix, pudding mix, and sour cream, it’s the ultimate moist chocolate cake recipe, topped with fudgy homemade frosting.
For the Chocolate Cake
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally grease a 10-inch bundt pan with butter or shortening and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine all the cake ingredients. Mix on low for 30 seconds until combined and then on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until the cake is set. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert the pan onto a cake plate. Cool totally before frosting.
Make the Frosting
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed beat the butter, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar until combined. Add in the vanilla and cream and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Frost the top of the cake and garnish with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 51.9 g
- Sodium: 363.3 mg
- Fat: 27.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.1 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 65.3 mg