This Instant Pot Potato Soup is prepared in minutes thanks to the pressure cooker! Silky, creamy and nourishing, you’re going to love a bowlful of this hearty soup recipe that’s loaded with melty cheese and veggies.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (about 1/2 a medium sized onion)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 cups (2 1/2 pounds) russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 oz Velveeta cheese (cut into cubes) OR 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Additional shredded cheese
- Turn instant pot to saute.
- Add the olive oil and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add the garlic and cook one minute more taking care not to burn.
- Add the potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and celery seed.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and turn to the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Scoop half of the potatoes into a separate bowl. Take care as they will be very hot.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes in the bowl.
- Add the pureed potatoes back into the instant pot.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Finally, add the sour cream and half and half. Stir until incorporated.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, chives and bacon. Serve instantly.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge. It is best served within 3-4 days.
Potato/cream based soups aren’t appropriate for freezing.
- To make this soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
- If you prefer no chunks in your soup, puree all the potatoes until smooth.
- If you prefer more chunks in your potato soup, use red potatoes in place of the russet potatoes.
- If you use shredded cheese rather than Velveeta, shred it yourself from a large block as the pre-shredded kind doesn’t melt into the soup as well.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular blender to puree the potatoes.
- Keep the lid of the blender cracked to stop the steam from building up inside.
- This soup is easily made gluten free by using gluten free chicken broth and gluten free cheese.